|Distinguished Professor of Economics and Management Science|
Joined Penn State in 1979,
the Economics faculty in 1998
504 Kern Graduate Building
Phone: (814) 865-6050
Fax: (814) 863-4775
Office Hours for Summer 2013: by appointment
Areas of Interest:
- Game Theory
- Microeconomic Theory
- Industrial Organization
"Formation of citation networks by rational players", with Avantika Chowdhury, accepted for the special issue on social and economic networks (edited by Sanjeev Goyal and Andrea Galeotti) of the "Review of Network Economics"
"A Nonsmooth Approach to Nonexpected Utility Theory Under Risk," Elsevier, Mathematical Social Sciences, August 2011.
(with R. Vijay Krishna)
"Pre-electoral Coalitions and Post-election Bargaining," Quarterly Journal of Political Science, 2011, 6: 1–53.
(with, S.Bandyopadhyay and T. Sj¨ostr¨om)
"Crime Reporting: Profiling and Neighbourhood Observation," BE Journal of Theoretical Economics, Advances, February 2010. (with S. Bandyopadhyay)
"On Preferences with Infinitely Many Subjective States," with R. V. Krishna, forthcoming in Economic Theory
"Strategic Audit Policies without Commitment," with Sanford Morton and the late Arijit Mukherji, in Pareto Optimality, Game Theory and Equilibria edited by Athanasios Midgalas (Crete), Panos Pardalos (Florida) and Leonidas Pitsoulis (Thessaloniki), July 2008, Springer Verlag (Berlin).
"A 'Dual-Self' Approach to Stochastic Temptation," with R. Vijay Krishna, accepted for publication in the American Economic Journal, Microeconomics.
"A Geometric Approach to Continuous Expected Utility," with R. Vijay Krishna, Economics Letters, 2008, 98, 1, 89-94.
"When Does Competition Lead to Efficient Investments?" with Steve Chiu, BE Press Topics in Theoretical Economics, 2007, 7, Issue 1.
"Coalition Theory and Applications: A Survey," with S. Bandyopadhyay, Economic Journal, February 2006, vol. 116, no.509, pp.F136-155.
"Technology Diffusion by Learning from Neighbors," with Susan H. Xu, Advances in Applied Probability, 36 (2004), no. 2, 355-376.
"Rivals Search for Buried Treasure: Competition and Duplication in R & D," with Robert A. Evans, RAND Journal of Economics, Vol. 15, no.1, Spring 2004, 160-183.
"How Communication Links Influence Coalitional Bargaining: A Laboratory Investigation," with G. Bolton and K.L. McGinn, Management Science, Vol. 49, 5, May 2003, 583-598.
Game Theory and Business Applications, K. Chatterjee and W.F. Samuelson (eds.), Kluwer Academic Publishers, Norwell, MA, 2001.
"Reputation and Signalling Product Quality" (with T. Bandyopadhyay and N. Vasavada), in Game Theory and Business Applications, K. Chatterjee and W.F. Samuelson (eds.), Kluwer Academic Publishers, Norwell, MA, 2001.
"Game Theory and the Practice of Bargaining," in Game Theory and Business Applications, K. Chatterjee and W.F. Samuelson (eds.), Kluwer Academic Publishers, Norwell, MA, 2001.
"Multiperson Bargaining and Strategic Complexity" (with H. Sabourian), Econometrica, Vol. 68, no. 6 (November 2000), 1491-1509.
"Rubinstein Auctions: On Competition for Bargaining Partners" (with B. Dutta), Games and Economic Behavior, 23, May 1998, pp. 119-145.
"Bargaining and Search with Incomplete Information about Outside Options" (with C.C. Lee), Games and Economic Behavior, 22 no. 2, February 1998, pp. 203-237.
- "Pre-electoral Coalitions and Post-election Bargaining," (with S. Bandyopadhyay and T. Sjostrom)
- "A Nonsmooth Approach to Nonexpected Utility Theory under Risk," (with R. Vijay Krishna)
- "Word of Mouth Advertising, Credibility and Learning from Neighbors," (with Bhaskar Dutta)
- "Game Theory and Strategic Complexity," (with H. Sabourian), Working paper version of article forthcoming in Springer Encyclopedia of Complexity and Systems Science (R. Mayers et al ed.)
- "Formation of citation networks by rational players and the diffusion of ideas," (with A. Chowdhury)
- "Bargaining, Competition and Efficient Investment," (with Y. Stephen Chiu)
- "Concepts of Strategic Complexity in Extensive-Form Unanimity Bargaining," (with H. Sabourian)
- "Menu Choice, Environmental Cues and Temptation: A "Dual Self" Approach to Self-control," (with R. Vijay Krishna)
- "A Geometric Approach to Expected Utility," (with R. Vijay Krishna)
- "Uniquely Representing 'A Preference for Uniformity'," (with R. Vijay Krishna)
- "Incentive Compatibility in Bargaining Under Uncertainty,"
- "Strategic Choice of Sequencing of Negotiations: A Model with One-Sided Incomplete Information," (with N.Y. Kim).
- "A Model of Academic Tenure," (with R.C. Marshall).
- "Simultaneous vs. Sequential Auctions, Intensity of Competition and Uncertainty," (with J. Feng).
- The unanimity game with finite automata.
- "Strategic Audit Policies Without Commitment," (with S. Morton and A. Mukherji).
- "N-Person Bargaining and Strategic Complexity," (with H. Sabourian).
- "How Communication Links Influence Coalition Bargaining: A Laboratory Investigation," (with G.A Bolton and K.L. Valley).
- "Bargaining Under Two-Sided Incomplete Information: The Unrestricted Offers Case," (with L. Samuelson)
- "Comparison of Arbitration Procedures: Models with Complete and Incomplete Information,"
- "Markets with Bilateral Bargaining and Incomplete Information," (with Bhaskar Dutta)