· "The Elusive Pro-Competitive Effects of Trade" (with Costas Arkolakis, Arnaud Costinot and Dave Donaldson), March 2012 (first version - preliminary and incomplete).
· "Scale Effects and Productivity Across Countries: How Can Size Not Matter?" (with Natalia Ramondo and Milagro Saborío), November 2011 (very preliminary) (slides).
· "External Economies, Comparative Advantage, and the Gains from Trade" (with Gary Lyn), November 2011.
· "The Simple Analytics of the Melitz Model in a Small Open Economy" (with Svetlana Demidova), August 2011, revision requested at the Journal of International Economics.
· "Trade, Multinational Production, and the Gains from Openness," (with Natalia Ramondo), December 2010, accepted for publication at the Journal of Political Economy. First complete version: June 2008.
· "Gains From Trade under Monopolistic Competition: The Translog-Pareto Case" (with Costas Arkolakis and Arnaud Costinot), September 2010.
Work in Progress
· "Lobbying and the Theory of Trade Agreements" (with Giovanni Maggi), slides.
· "Entrepreneurship and the Extensive Margin in Export Growth: A Microeconomic Accounting of Costa Rica’s Export Growth during 1997-2007" (with Daniel Lederman and Daniel Yi Xu), Vol. 25, No. 3, 2011, World Bank Economic Review.
· "Trade Policy under Firm-Level Heterogeneity in a Small Economy," (with Svetlana Demidova), Journal of International Economics, Vol. 78, No. 1, June 2009, Pages 100-112.
· "Innovation Shortfalls," (with William Maloney), Review of Development Economics, Vol. 11, No. 4, November 2007, pp. 665-684.
· "A Political Economy Theory of Trade Agreements," (with Giovanni Maggi), American Economic Review, Vol. 97, No. 4, September 2007, pp. 1374-1406.
· "Clusters and Comparative Advantage: Implications for Industrial Policy," Journal of Development Economics, Vol. 82, February 2007, pp. 43-57
· "Import Penetration and the Politics of Trade Protection," (with Giovanni Maggi), Journal of International Economics, vol. 51, pp. 287-304, August 2000.
· "The Value of Trade Agreements in the Presence of Political Pressures," (with Giovanni Maggi), Journal of Political Economy, June 1998
· "Multinationals, Linkages and Economic Development," American Economic Review, September 1996.
· "The Division of Labor and Economic Development," Journal of Development Economics, June 1996.
· "Costly Distortion of Information in Agency Problems," RAND Journal of Economics, (with Giovanni Maggi), Winter 1995.
· "On Countervailing Incentives," Journal of Economic Theory, (with Giovanni Maggi), July 1995.
· "Growth, Size, and Openness: A Quantitative Approach" (with Natalia Ramondo), American Economic Review Papers and Proceedings, May 2010.
· "Trade, Foreign Investment, and Industrial Policy," (with Ann Harrison), Handbook of Development Economics Volume 5, edited by Dani Rodrik and Mark Rosenzweig, 2010.
· "Endogenous Variety and the Gains from Trade" (with Costas Arkolakis, Svetlana Demidova and Pete Klenow), American Economic Review Papers and Proceedings, May 2008.
· "Coordination Failures, Clusters and Microeconomic Interventions," Economia (Journal of LACEA), Fall 2005, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 1-29
· "Externalities and Growth," (with Pete Klenow) Handbook of Economic Growth, Vol. 1A, P. Aghion and S. Durlauf, eds., 2005, 817-861 (chapter 11), and also NBER Working Paper, No. 11009.
· "Multinationals and Linkages: an Empirical Investigation," (with Laura Alfaro), Economia (Journal of LACEA), Spring 2004 (Volume 4, Number 2)
· "Economic Growth: A Review Essay," (with Pete Klenow) Journal of Monetary Economics, November 1997
· "The Neoclassical Revival in Growth Economics: Has It Gone Too Far?" (with Pete Klenow), 1997 NBER Macroeconomics Annual
· "Positive Feedback Mechanisms in Economic Development," in Development Strategy and Management of the Market Economy, I. P. Székeley and R. Sabot (eds), Clarendon Press Oxford, 1997.
· "On Endogenizing Long-Run Growth," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, (with Peter Hammond), vol. 95, 1993, No. 4.
Applied and policy-oriented papers and reviews
· Review of Dani Rodrik’s “One Economics, Many Recipes”, Journal of International Economics, Volume 77, Issue 1, February 2009, Pages 133-135
· "Productive Development Policies and Supporting Institutions in Latin America and the Caribbean," February 2006 (with Alberto Melo), IADB Research Department Working Paper C – 106, published in The State of State Reform in Latin America, edited by Eduardo Lora, Stanford University Press, 2007.
· "Towards a Strategy for Economic Growth in Uruguay," December 2004 (with Ricardo Hausman and Dani Rodrik)
· “Intel: A Case Study of Foreign Direct Investment in Central America” (with Felipe Larraín and Luis F. López-Calva), in Economic Development in Central America, Volume I: Growth and Internationalization, Felipe Larrain B. (ed), Harvard University Press, 2001
· "Costa Rica's Development Strategy based on Human Capital and Technology: how it got there, the impact of Intel, and lessons for other countries,” Journal of Human Development, Vol. 2, No. 2, 2001
· "Innovation and Technology Adoption in Central America," February 2003
· "Economic Growth in Costa Rica" (with Alberto Trejos and Manrique Sáenz), March 2002 - Published in Spanish in Pequeñas Economías, Grandes Desafíos, Manuel Agosín, Roberto Machado y Paulina Nazal (eds), Inter-American Development Bank, 2004
· "Variaciones sobre un viejo tema: acceso de las PyMEs al crédito", in Ensayos en Honor a Eduardo Lizano Fait, edited by Grettel López and Reinaldo Herrera, Academia de Centroamérica, 2004
Old Working Papers
· "Import Tariffs, Export Subsidies, and the Theory of Trade Agreements," (with Giovanni Maggi), June 2005
· "Quantifying Variety Gains from Trade Liberalization," September 1997 (with Pete Klenow)
IADB publications in which I collaborated
· The Emergence of China: Opportunities and Challenges for Latin America and the Caribbean, (with Robert Devlin and Antoni Estevadeordal), forthcoming as an IADB publication
· Economic and Social Progress Report 2004, Good Jobs Wanted: Labor Markets in Latin America, Inter-American Development Bank, 2003 - I wrote chapter 6, titled Employment Outcomes and the Role of Technology
· Economic and Social Progress Report 2005, Unlocking Credit: The Quest for Deep and Stable Bank Lending, Inter-American Development Bank, 2005 - I wrote chapter 14, titled Access to Financing for SMEs (with Ernesto Stein)